PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canada to US. NO carry on bags allowed
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2010, 18:41
DIA74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Victory for terrorism ?

Obviously the Americans want to feel safe from bombers, but ever increasing restrictions on ordinary travelers are handing a VICTORY to the terrorists, and discouraging people from traveling, which will impact the US economy.

I have not had the joy of the welcome at JFK for a few years, but the restrictions are not restricted to air travelers.

I was recently on a ship into HNL ex Auckland, and had completed the wonderful new pre entry e-Visa thing before leaving UK. (This is a farce when one hears the suspected bomber was a subject of concern but not stopped from traveling.

On docking in Honolulu, the entire SHIP, including passengers and crew who did not wish to go ashore, had to queue up to be interviewed in person. With thousands of people on board and only five staff assigned, you may imagine how long that took! My day in Hawaii turned out to be five short hours, a lot of it stuck in traffic. Bearing in mind most of the pax were elderly, and many wheelchair bound, it seemed ridiculously over the top to treat everyone as potential agents of Osama the Awful.

Not the kind of thing that will encourage these thousands of passengers to visit the USA again soon. Actually, I could well be on one of their "lists" now because I mentioned that to the immigration officer.