PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eurocypria Airlines LTD Incident EPKT 2009-11-09
Old 2nd Jan 2010, 18:15
act700

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
......the facts suggest this incident was much like the “perfect storm”. Poor weather, inadequate infrastructure, lack of communication and a failure to follow rules combined to risk ....
I disagree. Poor weather and inadequate infrastructure (CAT 1 only) are everyday occurances - nothing exceptional. This whole sequence of events was soley down to the decision of the Commander to commence/continue an approach below the legal minima. This is why we have rules - to protect the travelling public. Rules which can only be broken to prevent imminent harm to the aircraft or its passengers - not to keep the schedule running to time.

The final get out should have been at 1000' agl when a go-around would have broken the chain - assuming the RVR was below 550m at that point (probably was judging by METAR's).

The subsequent (in)actions on the ground demand only one solution.

A4
I agree with A4...the inadequate infrastructure is only an argument to deflect pointed fingers at the operator.

More so, this has less to do with cover ups and conspiracy, rather ignorance, incompetance, or both.

A4, what do you mean with "the final get out....1000ft.."? I'm not sure I understand?!
Break out, as in breaking out of the bottoms? On a Cat 1 Ils to mins, 1000ft agl sure sounds a bit high..