PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was the Nomad really that bad?
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2009, 21:08
hoggsnortrupert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The words were:

QUOTE:It is the only machine that has gone some way to rivaling the Twin Otter! (Read Twin Engine STOL)

I was comparing them from the stol perspective, & design purpose's only, maybe you could enlighten me? TINNIE, as to what else you go some way to fairly compare both the N22 /24 to, for that matter.

The original design was a brilliant concept:

A former GAF pilot employed on testing the machines (Circa 1987-cant remember his name) once told me, the concept IS fraught with finance issues, and the design team wanted to change/ alter the rear end, and fit bigger engines,(his choice was PT6-s') and redesign the main U/C system to support bigger tires.

If this is true or just bar talk I dont know, but the chap was the genuine goods, so I feel it rather solid.

Read the attached:

GAF Nomad
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Nomad

N22C Nomad VH-ATO, the only Nomad flying in Australia in 2009
Role STOL aircraft
Manufacturer Government Aircraft Factories
First flight 23 July 1971
Status Still in civil and military service
Primary users Philippine Air ForceAustralian ArmyIndonesian National Navy
Produced 1975 - 1985
Number built 172
The GAF Nomad is a twin-engine turboprop, high-winged, "short take off and landing" (STOL) aircraft . It was designed and built by the Australian Government Aircraft Factories (GAF) at Fishermens Bend, Melbourne. Major users of the design have included the Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia, the Australian Army and the Australian Customs Service.
Contents[hide]· 1 Design and development· 2 Variants· 3 Operators o 3.1 Civil Operatoro 3.2 Military operators· 4 Notable incidents· 5 Specifications (N22B)· 6 References· 7 External links
[edit] Design and development
Development of the Nomad began in 1965 at the Government Aircraft Factories as Project N. The Australian government funded two prototypes in January 1970 for the twin engined, multi-purpose transport. The government was keen to build an aircraft in order to maintain aircraft production at GAF after the end of Mirage III production.[1] The first prototype (VH-SUP) flew for the first time on 23 July 1971. The aircraft was now known as the N2 and was aimed at the military and civilian markets. The designation N22 was to be used for military aircraft (becoming N22B in production) and N24 was to be used for the lengthened civilian version.
The original design intention was that the entire empennage would be hinged, such that it could be swung open providing rear loading access (the target payload was a small vehicle). This necessitated the raised cruciform tail.
The Nomad design was considered problematic and early Royal Australian Air Force evaluations were critical of the design. An early, stretched-fuselage variant crashed, killing GAF's chief test pilot (the father of actor Guy Pearce),[2] and assistant head designer. The Nomad has been involved in a total of 24 total hull-loss accidents, and 76 fatalities.[3]
Only 172 Nomads (including the two prototypes) were manufactured, due to the limited foreign sales achieved by GAF. In 1986, GAF was incorporated into Aerospace Technologies of Australia.[1][4]
On 18 June 2008, Gippsland Aeronautics announced they had won bidding to take over the Nomad's type certificate and would probably be restarting production.[5] Gippsland Aeronautics is working to return an upgraded version of the N24 to production in 2011.[6]
As of December 2009 only one Nomad is still flying in Australia, with another four in New Zealand.[7][8][9]

Chr's.
H/Snort