PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Sun Military Awards
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2009, 08:46
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'council house'

There are many fine upstanding citizens who live in council houses. You will find that a huge number (possibly the majority) of the 'common soldier' are from 'council house' backgrounds.

Does that make them any worse than you or I? In fact not worse than me, because my parents lived in a council house when I was born and I lived in one until I was about 11.

My parents were fortunate(?) enough in a Scottish Borders textile town to scrape together enough money to buy their own house - they then went on, through hard work and a bit of being in the right place at the right time, to progress in their careers and ended up with very nice houses. My council house background got me into the FAA as Officer Aircrew. It got me to a very well paid and responsible job where I am today, when I left the RN

If you're going to try to describe the way you felt about the 'Millys', at least don't be a snob about it. Some of our finest and bravest soldiers come from council houses.

In civvy street some of our most upstanding and hardworking citizens live in council houses because their wages as nurses, cleaners etc can't stretch to anything else.