PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Training at East Sale?
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2009, 20:12
Truckmasters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little knowledge is dangerous

I'm a few years out of date on the sale issues.
However unless my current information feed is completely b/s I don't see how sale can't do the job with airspace.
There is approx 15-20 PC9's, less than 10 CT4's and less than 10 Kingairs operating fulltime from sale.
So the airspace "experts" are telling us that that current number of aircraft has already maxxed out the airspace which essentially consists of a 50NM ring around ESL. Sure there is water and mountains as a risk factor. Survival kits, rescue choppers and water exposure suits normally solve those problems of risk relatively easily.

Yep I agree Sale can't handle the extra workload of BFTS, there is no spare aerodromes for circuit work. Has someone blown up West sale, Bairnsdale, Yarram? Besides those councils wouldn't have been interested in the extra revenue from the extra movements caused by all the CT4 equivalents. And the runway works for a heavy trainer (a light aircraft) would have been way too much to spend if required

Yep I definitely agree with the airspace experts, compared to Pearce and Willy, Sale looks ways too overcrowded.

Now as to weather that's a different topic. Tamworth might not have the rain and cloud. However how much training is lost to hot weather, either from delayed flying or ineffective training due the student suffering heat stress.
Neither place is perfect.

How about traffic avoidance. The TCAD fitted to the current CT4's needs a radar to interrogate the transponders for the system to work. Tamworth doesn't have one so half the time the system is ineffective. Sale does have one (although it used to be u/s half the time) which would make the system work better. Tamworth used to do half of its training in airpace that anyone could drive through the middle of anyway.

Sarcasm, cynicism and facts aside
It will get decided by Politicians, absolutely nothing to do with which is better for the job.