PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FCU faild open. B737NG
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2009, 13:35
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Centaurus

In our B737-300 simulator, the particular non-normal you describe is called Engine Malfunction Governor Failure and is selectable via the instructor panel. When training new crews the instructor demonstrates to them the symptom of the failure while on the ground.

You simply tell the crew to sit back and watch with interest the engine parameters and to take no action since this is a demonstration of what happens. With both thrust levers at idle the relevant button is selected on the instructor panel causing the thrust to rapidly increase to maximum even though the thrust levers remain closed. It is then pointed out that if this happens while on the ground taxiing or landing roll there is no time for all the SOP niceties of "I say old chap what is happening and I haven't even touched the throttles..."

The captain has to recognise the defect and immediately cut the start lever before you ground-loop with one engine at full power. If in doubt on the deck, cut both start levers as there may be no time to do the confirmation bit. According to a Boeing Discussion paper I once read this sort of defect is not a severe damage as there is no severe vibration and the engine is running normally albeit at very high thrust.
Exactly

I would hope that this description matches other simulator programming as well, without adding in "severe damage" drills at the same time