PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Sun Military Awards
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2009, 10:57
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As someone stated on the much larger thread about this on Arrse, why get on your high horse about it?

The people who attended, all ranks, didn't get forced to attend. There were a lot of serving personnel there who didn't receive awards, thus they were there by choice and they seemd to enjoy it.

There is an awards system, but apart from exceptional stories of bravery, what do the public get to hear of them?

So it might not be the best way of doing it, but it does raise awareness and gives Joe Public a glimpse (however tacky) of what is going on around them. There were also awards for SAR in the UK etc.

Allegedly, support for the Armed Forces is at an all time high - how do you think that happened? It's the likes of the Sun and 'tacky' programmes on C5 that bring things into the living room of the public.

Yes, there are very valid arguments about how can you deem one unit to be 'the best unit' above others etc, but why not take the thing at face value? it raises awareness.

The Sun, a crap newspaper, has raised the profile of H4H immensely. You can't whinge about lack of public support (as some people have on here - and quite rightly), then whinge again about programmes that aim to raise awareness.

The Sun does it - if they didn't, who else would? It's far from perfect, but I bet donations to mil charities have benefitted hugely.

Jindabyne

...really need such a tacky platform to (a)support a cause which MoD itself should be responsible for, and (b)parade our fine troops in such a demeaning way
Point (a) is moot. We all agree the MOD should do it, or more specifically HMG, but they don't. So why sit around bemoaning the fact? If someone else is willing to take up the task then fair do's.

Point (b). I watched it, being ex forces. I knew about a few of the highlighted acts of bravery, but not all of them. I didn't see any of the rank and file looking demeaned either when receiving an award, or in the crowd.