PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multiple Instructors, what's up with that?
Old 22nd Dec 2009, 14:32
protectthehornet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow

U guys from across the pond...we are seperated by a common language!

You all sound like you have the exact same book...that each lesson is numbered and that everyone uses the same method.

It also sounds like you don't use a ''hobbs meter'' for recording time.

And anyone who signs a ''contract'' with a flying school is probably making a mistake...most people here pay as you go...and if things aren't going well...the money stops.

I taught people to fly near San Francisco, CA (USA). It is considered one of the most demanding areas of our nation to learn to fly...with almost a dozen airports of varying size in a small area. A small airport, small runway, constant cross winds. It took longer than average to solo anyone here...but they could land on their spot better than those learning at a long runway without crosswinds. Indeed, radio work takes as much time as control manipulation.

Each student learns in a different manner. There are fears to overcome. Lack of aptitude (I've told more than one student he or she is not really cut out for flying and to save their money).

I encourage all flight instructors (and we use different terminology here...different certificates like CFI, CFII, MEI....I have all) to ask their students what comes across better in terms of learning. And it must be money aside.

I encourage you to take your students to the instructor bench (it occurs to me that you guys don't even know what this is...a bench (chair) near the runway where one can observe solos, landings etc) along with a radio and watch landings/approaches.

I would also include a good amonut of go arounds as practice.

The real trick to landing can be taught in two unusual ways.

ONE. Go to a department store and get on the down escalator (moving stairs) and have the student note the ''spot'' doesn't move along the glideslope of the escalator.

TWO. Have the student stand up on level ground and practice going up and down on his toes and have him perceive the difference using periphreal vision...I rever to "STick and Rudder" here and have the student get used to judging his height above the runway in this fashion.

I have also taken a student out on the runway and (on a long runway mind you) and have had them hold the pitch attitude in landing while doing a high speed taxi/skip off. Confidence in side/periphreal vision must be learned instead of lowering the nose to see over the cowl.

And finally, try adjusting the seat...a remarkable improvement in some landing performance can be found by properly determining an eye height/seat height.