PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multiple Instructors, what's up with that?
Old 22nd Dec 2009, 09:02
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are the customer - One of your rights is to choose with whom, when and how you will spend your money.
You can choose what school you will spend your money with but the school is within their rights to choose what instructor will teach you. If you have received sub-standard service from that instructor then you have effectively received sub-standard training from the school and a way to fix that is for you to either stay with that school but have the instructor re-educated or be given a different instructor or change school.

i.e. your contract is with the school.

The schools that can accomodate regular requests for instructor changes without any disruption have two problems;

1. Their instructors are below standard; and

2. They are not very busy

2 usually being the result of 1.

You may be thinking of number 1. However, the school has to think of what's best for everyone. Do I agree to your demand to fly with instructor B because you don't like instructor A's flying boots and re-shuffle the students that B already has?

I have instructed in a number of environments and not just flight instruction. Many of the cases where practical skills were taught, the student had a different instructor each exercise. This was (in that particular example) essential to ensure that reports of progress (or the lack thereof) were the balanced view of the instructing team and not simply an individual opinion.

----------------

- If you do not know the instructors,the circumstances or the student then how can you make a proper judgement??? This was widely regarded as a VERY well run school, the particular student had not been chopped and changed - 2 main instructors in the first 40 hours then changing them to try and see if that would help at the end.
I don't have to know the instructors to know that a student not going solo by 40 hours (5 hours above the entire course length) without some serious investigation and then being handed from instructor to instructor until they have nearly twice the cource length (in terms of hours) completed but not passed exercise 12/13 but had 7 instructors has been severely failed by the school. In such a case, they would easily get a vast part of their money back should the persue it.

Glad to hear that your child has been accomodated. Did you follow up the situation to ensure that the failing teacher received the appropriate retraining.........or is another student going to suffer the same situation?