PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Training at East Sale?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2009, 04:29
FoxtrotAlpha18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DBTW
That is a view, FA18, although you need to have a chat with your 78 Wing boss. I am clearly not as close to the action as you are with a handle like yours, but Mr 78 Wing doesn't seem to share your opinion, and he says so in last month's Australian Aviation...he reckons another unit flying 3000 flight hours at either place will bulk out the airspace.
I read the same article - quite a good one actually - those guys often get some quite good insights!

I can't and won't speak for the 78WG or any other boss, but believe me when I say he has some extremely good insights and ideas into future air combat training. I would suggest however he may have been quoting the current softly softly, easy does it company line rather than his personal opinion (which may or may not differ) in the article. I think you'd have to walk a long way to find a Group Captain who will go on the record with a personal opinion about any policy if it even slightly differs from that of AFHQ!

The 79/Pearce study was conducted by a couple of One-stars earlier this year with input not just from 78WG, but also from 76SQN, 81, & 82WGs, ACG, TFSPO, DMO, BAE and others, and the eventual recommendation will come from DCAF's office.

And while moving 79 to Willy would require some rejigging of the airspace as well as other on and off-base adjustments, nothing is an automatic deal-breaker! The hard part of upping the ante at Willy will be dealing with the locals re noise...

I think Foxtrot18 was referring to the airspace at Pearce being crap. He's right. There's just too much traffic with 79, 2FTS and the RSAF in the same tight wedge of airspace. It's only a matter of time before there's a midair.
Correct - it's maxxed out!