PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To Buy or Not to Buy?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2009, 03:35
Aceninja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Impressions

Well I took it out for a spin yesterday with the owner and the airplane seemed to handle fine, which was a big relief because from its outward appearance I was contemplating whether it was even safe to get in it. I have attached some pics so that you guys can see what I am talking about, and feel free to comment if you spot anything funny.

Appearance:

Rusty, patches of rust everywhere, need a paint job pretty bad.
Ailerons seemed bent/curved up at the edges- suspect this is not some aerodynamic feature of the C150..
Lots of grease/oil residue seeping out of the flaps.
A few bumps and what appears to be a wrinkle? on the tail fin (see pic)
Oil leaking out of engine onto ground. There was a puddle there and I noticed he added a bit of oil (1/2 qt or so) before we went flying. (see pic as well)

He claimed the oil was from the vaccume pump system. I am not mechanically inclined, but something about that seems fishy.

Instrumentation:

Attitude indicator does not function correctly until we gained some altitude (around 2000MSL/AGL..we were over the ocean), It was all lopsided when climbing and did not correct itself till we leveled off at altitude. Useless really.

VOR on the other hand seemed to work..

Overall it wasn't in the shape I expected it to be in, but then again for an asking price of $12,000 for a 1964 C150 maybe I was expecting too much?

I am at this point contemplating having an inspection done on this aircraft, maybe I should just save myself the $300 and go fly for an hour and half...

Thanks to everyone who chipped in, and feel free to make any comments based on the pics you see and the description I gave.

Curved Aileron?

Nosewheel section

horizontal stab

slight wrinkle on the tail section?

Greasy flaps