PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multiple Instructors, what's up with that?
Old 21st Dec 2009, 18:28
Cows getting bigger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuck, I presume in your scenario you are teaching people who already have a degree of experience? My experience with SEP PPL students is one of limited capacity, high workload and a tendency to tire (most are deterioriating after their 5th or 6th cct).

Personally, I find that when teaching the landing it often needs to be broken down into constituent parts. Nail the approach; recognise the position/height to 'flare'; achieve the desired attitude; reduce throttle to idle; arrest sink, keep straight. I think we all would agree that landing is the most difficult and important skill for a pilot to master and it does not come naturally. I prefer to get the student focussed on landing the aircraft and not allowing them to worry about the re-configuration etc required for a T&G. Indeed, I flew with a student PPL the other week who was so keen on re-configuring the aircraft they raised the flap before the landing had even been completed. Anyway, for that reason I start teaching with full stop landings and then, once the student has become more comfortable, we then progress to T&Gs. Like you, I like short, sharp ccts so that the picture/procedure becomes easily imprinted. Unfortunately in CAA land we rarely have the opportunity to do anything other than a standard, 6-7 minute rectangular bomber pattern which does little for continuity. If the airfield is quiet and we're trying to perfect landing, I will do a set of 'mini ccts' allowing the student less time to 'forget'.