PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multiple Instructors, what's up with that?
Old 21st Dec 2009, 18:05
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The touch and go versus full stop landings debate is an interesting one.

The choice of which type of landings one chooses will depend on many factors and will be based on what exactly it is you are teaching the student.

There are different circumstances and different airplane handling techniques that will have to be taken into consideration when deciding if you will use touch and goes or full stop landings for a given lesson.

I hope this does not bore everyone but I would like to use teaching water landings in a PBY to point out why I normally teach an average of around ten touch and goes to every full stop landing when giving type endorcements to pilots in the PBY.

The PBY is very critical attitude wise during touch down and the planing segment of a landing on water, if the pitch attitude is to nose low on touch down it will result in the start of a porpoise, if the pitch attitude is to nose high on touch down it will result in the start of a porpoise.

Porpoising if allowed to continue will quickly progress into total loss of control and the possible loss of the airplane and the people on board.

I have a set pattern for teaching the proper pitch attitude at touch down and it involves three minute circuits with all touch and goes performed with the throttles closed from two hundred feet to water contact at which time they use power to keep the pitch attitude stable and then apply take off power for the go portion of the touch and go.

Generally I have two pilots learning at the same time and they each fly ten touch and goes then observe the other pilot doing ten touch and goes.

This relatively short circuit performing exactly the same final approach attitude / air speed and flare height for the touch down tends to burn the picture into their memory banks in a very short time and once they are proficient at the task they retain the picture throughout the rest of the water flying carer.

Now as to the subject of de-briefing of each landing I agree that that is a very important factor in teaching landings......however in that it is impractical to de-brief each landing when doing three minute circuits I debrief at the end of the flight using the camcorder that was running during the time they were flying.

When they fu.k up a landing I rewind the recording to the point in the approach they started to get out of shape attitude or airspeed wise and stop the recording and ask them to show me with a laser pointer where they were looking and what they were thinking they were seeing at that point in the approach...we then discuss it until the student understands where it all started to go wrong and how to correct it the next time.

I hope you all got through all that without falling asleep as I thought it might be of some value to see how others teach the art of landing and taking off again on airplanes that have very critical handling issues in a given environment.