PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gippsland Aero sold to Indian company
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2009, 22:20
Andy_RR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Cafe Club's Indian love-fest

CafeClub,

I'd like to point out that whilst India has a population of significantly more than a billion (and growing too rapidly) the proportion that actually has any brass (or valuable skills) is very small indeed. Sure, you can sell things for a dollar to lots of people, but 80% of those billion people can't afford to spend a dollar.

I'd estimate that the number of people who have incomes anywhere near western levels is somewhere between 40-80million, so economy-wise, entering the market is like opening up a mid-size European nation, but without the infrastructure and with bureacracy that the Australian guvmint can only dream about (although there's always a way to get things done) An interesting prospect then, but not something to wet your pants over.

Oh, and by way of background, I've done more than my share of time in India, so I've ridden (and driven) an autorickshaw or two. Another thing - they may have cheap engineers, but they are sadly lacking in the real-world experience that comes from living in a developed economy. You will be teaching them stuff every step of the way, so don't expect a lot of innovation this decade.

On the other hand, Australia has never had a higher profile in the world as now, but somehow we never figure out that holding control of our own industry is the key to its continued success. Multinationals will never decide in the interest of our country.