PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gippsland Aero sold to Indian company
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2009, 02:01
CafeClub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scale and scales

I'm glad the replies have started shifting back towards economies of scale and away from racist digs.

Drop the scales from your eyes guys!

Mahindra & Mahindra is now (globally) worth about 6 Billion USD, employs about 100k people around the world and covers a range of industries from scooters to IT to real estate to finance. (A side note is that their IT arm is - one of - the Indian companies now said to be in conversation with Westpac about managing their IT etc).

Economies of scale is what is helping Indian cos develop, as the local market is so huge. Basic stuff really. Sell 20 million people something for 20 dollars or sell 1 billion people something for 1 dollar.

One stat that really conveys this scale is that the domestic Indian market adds about 5 million NEW mobile subscribers PER MONTH. And I pay 1 paise per second for my calls here (about AUD 1 cent a minute) .

Yes, India can seem to be chaotic and is certainly a very different place to live and work in, but so is everywhere compared to 'home'.

Comments about "I'd never get in an Indian made..." are slightly, well, .

Just looking at domestic competitors to M&M: Tata now owns Jag/Land Rover, Bajaj has 35%-ish of Austrian motorcycle maker KTM (and there have been rumours of a buy-out this year), and Mercedes has had an Indian manufacturing plant since 1994. (They currently make the C-class and E-class), etc etc

By all means lament the demise of something, but don't be Luddites, and don't express that luddite-ism through racist attacks. It's embarrassing.

Maybe with the cash and access to (the Indian) market that M&M has, GA is about to embark on a massive expansion. Wouldn't that be good for those engaged with GA?