PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth to invest in type rating?
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2009, 18:43
potkettleblack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rather than wasting your money why not focus your efforts on keeping yourself current and getting a job. I am willing to bet that someone here got a job this week somewhere even though the entire industry is bleak at best.

Maybe they got onto one of the few "sponsorships" going. Or perhaps they were recommended by their flight school and put forward for interview. They might have shone on the MCC course and been asked to pop in for a "chat" by their instructor who just happens to fly commercially and is in need of someone to fill a hole at short notice. Maybe they hung around at the flying club after hours, brought a few beers and got to know a few people. This might have lead to offers of some free jump seat rides to see what its really like to operate commercially. Perhaps this lead to a safety pilot role doing the radios and keeping the insurance company happy. Maybe they got offered a position as an instructor at the club subject to successfully passing the course.

Who knows how they did it. Each person has their own way and a quick search will throw up any number of threads of how people did it. But I would hazard a guess that someone who can display the sort of get up and go to get themselves out and about would stand a better chance than someone willing to fork out a fortune on a type rating and hours. I can assure you that having "Eagle Jet" on your CV is hardly going to be seen as an asset to a quality operator. But then if your willing to risk your life and fly anything and everything for a dodgy outfit then maybe they will scoop you up regardless of what you have on your CV.

The trick for you is to pull finger, develop your network and get out there. If you have the right attributes and are willing to put in the effort then you will find a job eventually. Good luck.