PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To Buy or Not to Buy?
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2009, 05:26
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
It is absolutely imperative you get an unbiased prepurchase inspection. The sad fact is there is a gross imbalance between the cost of the airplane and the cost to replace any major component. The engine is a perfect example. The cost to remove, overhaul, and replace the engine on your 12,000 dollar
airplane is ..... at least $15,000. A set of brake discs and pads with labour for the work will not leave you much change from 1000 dollars etc. Since a new Cessna Skycathcher costs $115,000 a new C150 would probably retail for $150,000. Therefore in effect you are not buying new parts for a $12,000 Honda Civic , you are buying new parts for a Ferrari and the part are priced accordingly. My experience is low time pilots buying their own airplane are often not prepared for the reality of the maintainance costs. I am not saying it is a bad idea just do a lot of research before you buy, so you understand what you are getting into. The web is a great resource for this. Unfortunately I have personally seen several "great deals" turn into absolute nightmares for the owner.