PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 18th Dec 2009, 22:23
DP.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
God!!! it seems to me that this forum is either full of bitter pilots, who obviosly aren't getting their way with CC or by people who really don't have a clue about people's lives.
I'm genuinely amazed that, even now, this is the kind of thing BASSA supporters are still coming out with.

Seriously, read what your colleagues on here, like Glamgirl, Tiramisu etc are writing, and realise they're talking a lot of sense. There is no-one else to blame for the ballot mess than BASSA, regardless of how many straw men you throw out there. BASSA made a huge error with the conduct of the ballot - that is the start and end of it. The fact that the non-eligible people wouldn't have made a material difference to the result is completely irrelevant. You simply cannot do what they did. As much as you claim BA stopped the strike on a 'technicality', it is simply not the case.

By all means re-ballot, it is your lawful right. However, you cannot move forward with your current leadership. Of course, you probably feel loyalty towards them, but their position is completely untenable. They've been ridiculed (rightly or wrongly) in the national press, and committed a, quite frankly, rudimentary error, leading to the collapse of the strike.

There is no way they can be taken seriously by Willie Walsh and BA's management now. As I say, you are completely within your rights to re-ballot, but think about it very carefully. There seems to be an assumption in your ranks that Willie Walsh is scared of your threats. The problem is, there doesn't appear to be a single scrap of evidence supporting that assumption. Most of all, you need to work out what your endgame is here, because BASSA don't seem to be sure themselves. Willie Walsh is not going to remove the changes already imposed.

Your union leaders will now be baying for the blood of management, and trying to get their revenge for this humiliation. That is really not the mindset you want the people you are trusting with leading you into this battle to have.

(For the recod, I don't work for BA, or in the industry. I'm simply a passenger and keen aviation enthusiast, who travels with BA when possible. I've always enjoyed the service provided by the crew whenever i've flown with you guys in the past, and i'd really hate to watch the airline go down the pan)