PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The first job, What to do?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2002, 00:09
Gumaaark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get an instrument rating.
If you want a career in aviation, it has to be done sooner or later, and the skills learned will be handy even if you're just a vfr pilot doing scenics or remote area charter.
This is not to mention the six weeks (minimum) you would need off work, to do it once employed (sometimes difficult to get depending on your employer).

The only advantage to NOT doing an instrument rating is the tax claim if you do it after you get a job. Admitedly this is a good reason...

Don't bother with an instructor rating unless you want to be an instructor. It is the wrong way to go if you only want to get to 400 hours before getting a charter job. It is also $6-8000 that could be more usefully spent.

If you WANT to instruct, or prefer to stay in a larger town/city (for family or whatever reason) then make a committment to instruct for a lengthier time period, give something to your students rather than just taking. (My opinion only )

If you want to go "north" then do it, It was one of the best experiences of my life (flying wise, socially, culture experience )
and you will come away with hundreds of stories and alot of good mates.

Consider Darwin, Gove, Jabiru, Oenpelli, Alice Springs, Kunnunurra, Broome? these are places I know of where low hour guys (including me) got a start. THERE ARE MANY OTHERS.

Another (often forgotten) option is station work on cattle properties. This exists in West Qld, NT, W.A. North SA?, and is a very handy way to get 500-1000 hrs with a great assortment of flying. It can also be a great learning experience about this wonderful country we live in...

Don't ask me how to get into that area, hopefully some-one who knows will post.

Anyway, good luck and remember,

"Everything written above may be wrong"