PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avcanada censorship
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2009, 03:37
DHC6tropics

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
polyfiber...

You must have the luxury of working for a good company...or perhaps you are in the training department...maybe even management?

I too am lucky to work for a company that is truly dedicated to safety and having a SMS system that works...having said that, I don't think my company would be the way it is if it wasn't for a strong and active union.

I have some very close friends who are great pilots and great people but who haven't had the luck and timing required to land one of the few good long-term career jobs in Canada. The companies they work for look great on the surface...good planes, decent schedules, acceptable compensation...but when you look a little deeper, management is abusive and only pay lip-service to safety and SMS. The stories they tell are crazy. Yes, occasionally they have bent under pressure from management and done things they shouldn't have as professional pilots, but that is only because they have seen over and over again the threats and harassment that pilots who have stood up for their rights have received. Without a pilot union they know that there is absolutely no one that will stand up for them...and quitting a flying job due to abusive management is just not an option for some...I can only hope the industry picks up soon so they can move on to one of the few good companies.

Management all too often gets away with abusive and harassing behaviour because they know the industry is small. F/O's are desperate for an upgrade and captains don't want to burn a reference so they can try to get out of their s#it-hole company ASAP.