PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US IR for UK IMC qualified pilots
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2002, 22:02
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bookworm

I'm pleased to be able to delight you then!

Thankyou!

Also thanks for pointing me to the definitive source on the internet HSMO.

Having read that I admit to being confused, but that's fine. Not only is the SVFR visibility rules a quirk, the whole airspace classification system seems strange, but that's fine too! I have flown in hard IMC in class E airspace in the UK (with suitably rated individual in G reg plane), and not liked the fact that I am responsible for separation in clouds, but I guess that's how it goes.

I get the impression that the "powers that be" are being pragmatic with the English weather so they have allowed people to fly in clouds. As long as you don't "mix it" with the big boys and hurt somebody in their "positively controlled" airspace they don't appear to be too worried. I guess its a tacit admission that the IMC is sub ICAO IR, or else they would let IMC holders play in the airways

Can I ask a stupid question? What is the definition of a control zone? Is that just somewhere you need a clearance to enter, like an airway (is that class B in the UK???) Would class D airspace around a towered field be a control zone?

regards