PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 17th Dec 2009, 18:51
MrBunker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This isn't, as much as we'd wish it, anywhere near done and dusted. I note that on CrewForum those self-same voices that applauded BASSA for their wit and intelligence are now deriding Unite for the failure of the ballot at the injunction, and therein lies the problem. No matter what errors Malone, Holley et al make, no matter who much information they choose not to share with their membership, no matter how many fliers they send out, the truth is the membership is unwilling to see BASSA as able to do any wrong whatsoever.

The same mindless juggernaut is already rolling into action that led us to where we are today. Anyone who dares to criticise the actions of BASSA in leading the crew to such a position of vilification and, ultimately, defeat in the high court, has been shot down in flames for being (as ever) a manager, a pilot, a spy. Even when those criticisms have been moderately posited and well argued. Let alone the even more extreme suggestions that Justice Cox was somehow bought by BA or a part of a conspiratorial and corrupt judiciary.

The child-like tendency to blame everyone but themselves for their woes will lead us again and again to the strike option as the self-righteousness allows for no other option than to carry on with their perceived moral crusade to oust the evil CEO and his henchmen.

So, perhaps, when this one is over, the real question is how do we change the fundamental disconnect in employee/employer relations in the airline? It's evident on here from a number of postings that there are some moderate, passionate and forward-thinking crew who, I'd fervently hope to believe, represent a future style of industrial relations in BA. Because, and I'm as sure of this as I can be of anything, to continue in this manner of BASSA saying no to absolutely everything will leave BA as nothing more than a small chapter in the history of civil aviation.

I'll never know the answer to this, and nor will those who quote the 92+% result at me, but I wonder how many crew voted yes in hope and anticipation of "sending a message" and wouldn't have held fast in the face of the strike had it been ruled legal? It's those that anyone wishing to effect change in BASSA or that which comes after it need to reach out to and offer a modern style of representation that works in partnership with the employer and not in constant combat.

Will it happen or are we just waiting for the tarpit to swallow our bloated corpse?

Ironically, the future really is in our hands.

MrB

Last edited by MrBunker; 17th Dec 2009 at 19:43.