PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 17th Dec 2009, 00:13
52049er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being lucky enough to work for a company that gives me time downroute, and industry leading terms and conditions (which is why I am happy to give them a PERMANENT 2.6% pay cut, a PERMANENT 20% cut in allowances and PERMANENT reduction to 3 crew operation to most of our previously 4 crew destinations) I (like the 14 people from my crew here in one of the world's greatest cities for 48 hours in a 4 * hotel) have time to peruse tomorrows newspapers.

The London Times

"Internal politics at the union Unite have played a significant part in the latest industrial dispute to engulf British Airways."

The London and Manchester Guardian

"Internal union politics have also emerged as a complicating factor in the search for a compromise. It is understood that Unite's leadership considered delaying the announcement of strike dates on Monday after BA threatened legal action over the ballot, but pushed ahead amid pressure from Bassa"

The Independent

"The background to the strike is made more complicated by the internecine politics of Unite, Britain's biggest trade union"

The Telegraph

"It is being carried on against a backdrop of a battle for the job of general secretary of the mammoth Unite trade union. "

Oops. No wonder we all found it so hard to actually work out what the strike was about. Pay cut? No. Job cuts? No. Massive changes to terms and conditions? No. Chances that Len McClusky would become next leader of a Union? Ermm, possibly.

I hope, for all the CC, that the judge tomorrow gives BA that injunction. Then we can take a deep breath and realise what a golden goose we nearly shot. If she doesn't...................

Last edited by 52049er; 17th Dec 2009 at 00:39.