PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 16th Dec 2009, 21:26
HiFlyer14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By jove I think I've got it.

There are lots of people asking "What's it all about"?. That's what I and some of my more sensible colleagues have been asking for the last 9 months. Here's a Brief synopsis:

Recession on - BA need to cut costs (like most companies). BA ask us to save money through reducing crew on a/c and New Fleet (new joiners with lower pay).

Nearly all cabin crew say "I'm happy to work harder, but I don't want to lose pay" We all agree. No problem there, then.

The Union (BASSA) then offers up their counter proposal, without prior consultation of the members. It is a 2.6% paycut , and a 2 year pay freeze and some other fleet stuff that NOBODY REALLY WANTED and nobody had been asked about. I thought WTF? this is mad - and laughed.
But suddenly the majority of crew, the BASSA faithful, thought it was brilliant. Lots of love and support for the country's biggest Union BASSA. Some of us are confused - we don't want to cut our pay, we don't mind working harder - surely the BA option is better? A few of us tried to speak out in a reasonable and composed way, to reps, on forums, etc. but no - blasted to hell as a traitor, hate mail, blah, blah, blah.

So, what is it all about?

Thanks to someone on this thread who posted earlier about their Uni studies about Industrial Relations and trade unions, I think the penny has finally dropped. I can't find the post (but huge thanks) but it said something about Trade Unions will never be in favour of productivity savings because it is effectively suicide - it cuts their subscriptions.

Bingo.

So the facts are:
BASSA receive £15 per month in Union fees per crew member. Approximately 10000 members = £150,000 PER MONTH IN SUBSCRIPTIONS.

BA want to reduce cabin crew by 4000 HCE so that is 4000 x £15 per month = £60,000 PER MONTH IN LOST SUBSCRIPTIONS! That is near on half their monthly subscription money.

So rather than lose £60,000 PER MONTH from Lala lady's coffers, they decided to offer up OUR SALARY - 2.61% each so that WE TAKE THE HIT AND NOT THEM.

Bingo. The Union retains it's power, it retains it's MASSIVE monthly subscription fees, BA gets some savings and the only loser is THE CABIN CREW THAT THE UNION IS SUPPOSED TO REPRESENT.

Now, I know there are plenty on this thread that have far more maths and business kudos than me, (not difficult) so would someone please disprove this theory, because I am getting madder and madder by the minute thinking about it.

Have many millions of customers had their christmases ruined, many thousands of BA employees had their jobs put at risk, and many, many other associate companies put at risk TO SAVE THIS UNION £60,000 PER MONTH???

And have 10,000+ BA Cabin Crew been hoodwinked by this Union, that has never consulted the entire membership on anything?

I am a BA cabin crew, the above represents my own viewpoint and not that of BA. And I will cross the picket line.

Last edited by HiFlyer14; 16th Dec 2009 at 21:39.