PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 15th Dec 2009, 10:37
ottergirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pay

This is a tricky one to pin down which is why there are so many weird sums being tossed around by the press.
Our Cabin crew have a starting salary of around 11,500 basic rising through 8 increments to about 13K. This is the only money that is guaranteed. Through overtime, and various allowances it goes up maybe a few grand; yes, this is more than the terminals, why do so many make the move across otherwise? Most of our main crew on the post 1997 contracts can not get a mortgage in the Home counties on their wages; many qualify for tax credits and income assistance. Certainly the pre-1997 contracts are higher than this but not 35K. What happens is that one month a crew member may take home £2000 but next month it could be £1500 and that is dependent on where they have been flying to and the cost of living in the destination. Out of that money, BA deduct any money that was forwarded to them to allow them to eat down-route. If you are on leave, off sick, standby, available, etc then you are back to your basic pay. So take a snapshot of any month, it will look as if some crew are on 35K and some on 11K. A P60 is the only true way to see and those fluctuate wildly year to year (don't get me started on that again).
Just off to phone the pay office and ask where the rest of my pay is, the Daily Mail say I earn it so it must be true!