PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 15th Dec 2009, 08:03
interpreter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are you trying to achieve?

There is a great deal of ill considered and ill though out comment flying around on the strike situation. Strikes benefit nobody – least of all the group who pay BA wages – the passengers. Leaving personalities out of this what would you do if you were running BA and facing daily losses exceeding £1 million and with a pension pothole of £3.7 billion? What would you do if you were operating in a deep recession with tens of thousands out of work and against a background of global warming threatening the very existence of your company and the industry in its present form?

You would do exactly what the BA board is trying to do. Reduce operating costs to an acceptable level. The T & C for those CC operating out of Gatwick are virtually the same as those being offered to Heathrow CC so it is not unreasonable for the Board to feel that that is acceptable. How do you think ACAS would view those terms?

Striking can ONLY do more harm to BA which is YOUR future, at least for the next few years. Do you expect a pension from BA some time in the future? You might get only a fraction, or a smidgeon from the compensation fund, of your expectation if the company does not recover.

Take a deep breath, thank your lucky stars that you have a job to go to, and look to the future with better prospects and continued employment for most.

I wish you good luck and would confirm that I have no interest in BA as an employee, or contractor, or passenger or a shareholder – just sad to see a great group of workers lead down a blind alley by a trade union flexing their muscles. I suggest you each, without announcement, report for work on the first strike day and save your jobs. Good luck. Virtually the whole of the general public would support your decision.