PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reds to Go?
Thread: Reds to Go?
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2009, 07:23
TheSmiter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reds to Go?

First off, I have nothing but pride and admiration for the skill and professionalism of our premier aerobatic team. You got me and several thousand other kids into the RAF, my wee boy wants to join you ASAP, bypassing the traditional career path.

I admit it, I'm jealous.

But, let's be critical here, especially as we're in the middle of intensely 'challenging times' and the only things safe for the defence budget are marked 'To Helmand'

1. Do the Reds contribute to the Afghan campaign?
A. No
2. Do the Reds provide any military effect?
A. No

So, will the Reds be disbanded?
A. No

For one simple reason. The Red Arrows are symbolic of modern Britain, all spin and (multi-coloured) smoke and mirrors. Scratch the surface and there's nothing there. They help to create the illusion that all is well with our Armed Forces. There is nothing left - we have no navy to speak of, the air force is completely broken and we have a small fighting force in Afghanistan configured for counter-insurgency.

However, in the eyes of the 'X-Factor / Strictly' British public, disbanding the Reds would be a tangible sign that something is amiss.

So no, the Reds will live to fly another season. I hope they enjoy their tour, I know they will continue to demonstrate the ethos which made the RAF the great organisation it once was. I would just ask that they spare a thought for all those who's careers will perish on the steaming pile of Planning Round 2010.