PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 14th Dec 2009, 16:15
Runway vacated

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fincastle, don't worry, there is a plan that will see the majority of LH flights taking place, with consolidation where necessary. JNB is a profitable destination (well, as close to profitable as we have at the moment!) and is unlikely to get scrubbed.

The vote means different things depending on whether or not you are cc in BA.

To many cc, including one I spoke to this evening, it means that WW will now "have to listen", Quite what he is meant to listen to is unclear, as BASSA have withdrawn from all contact with the company. They voted "Yes" to improve their union's bargaining power (a tactic that has been successful in the past), and it is slowly dawning on them that their bluff has been called.

To the rest of us it means that at last the most belligerent and obstructive union in the company has been taken on. They will be utterly humiliated and from their ashes will rise a moderate and mature organisation that can represent the interests of the cc.

In the meantime, standby for (unacknowledged) mass resignations from BASSA, and a damp squib of a strike that will be over before lunch time on day 1.

I am genuinely sorry for the inconvenience that our passengers are being put through, and I only hope that we can win back your confidence (and custom) in the months and years to come.

And sorry, just had to add that the line

Like a cornered tiger, they are ready to fight.
has lightened what was otherwise a pretty grim day! As a description of the state of readiness of BASSA to put their money where their mouth is, it is worthy of "Comical Ali"'s finest, reality denying, "bon mots"!

Thanks for making me laugh.

Last edited by Runway vacated; 14th Dec 2009 at 16:21. Reason: Added amusement!