PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots Attitude To Engineering
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2009, 09:42
Genghis the Engineer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
Coming at this from the other end - I wonder about some Engineers.

Not, by and large, maintenance engineers/technicians who in my experience have a pretty much universal interest in how their flying machines work and to a fair extent are operated (although probably never get as much chance to learn as they'd like).

But the graduate/chartered/"professional" engineer cadre who often have little or no grasp of the broader picture of how the aircraft is maintained and operated. Worse still, they very often don't seem to see this lack of knowledge as a problem.

In my opinion, this malaise starts in the universities who (not always, but often) are populated by people teaching who have only very narrow knowledge of stress/aerodynamics/whatever and think that because this is how they're allowed (and to a fair extent, encouraged) to function within a university, this is normal and healthy practice in a real engineer. So, they push out graduates who believe that they're doing their job properly by being as blinkered as possible - aerodynamicists don't need to understand structures and vice versa, and neither apparently need to know anything about how the aircraft is actually maintained and operated.

G