PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why ISM's think it is unsafe to start service?
Old 13th Dec 2009, 10:54
SloppyJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So that must mean some ISM's with 20+ years experience think it is ok and are putting the cabin crew at risk. The acceleration rarely happens at 10,000 it is usually before the belts are cycled. Have not been in the company that long but don't think it has ever been at 10,000 that the aircraft has accelerated. I know it really does not matter in the scheme of things but just looks so stupid when pax who are paying 10,000's $ get told that they cant have a drink as it is not ok for the cabin crew to get one for them even though they are free to wander around and do as they wish. If this is the case why don't we move the seatbelt sign back to the ISM's panel? If it is about deck angle why not tell us what this deck angle is and when it is below that and unlikely to go above it again, something no ISM would know, we can cycle the belts. If it is about safety why are we not given better guidelines about when to cycle the belts so that we can make sure that some of these very experienced ISM's who behave so carelessly by allowing the cabin crew to start work as soon as we are above the MSA and cycle the belts do not endanger the crew on every sector they operate with this reckless attitude to working with a high deck angle?

I am not saying I know better and would not want to do their job I just don't understand what the point of this is and what some ISM's (a lot it seems) are waiting for as it looks really stupid from a passengers point of view, that is all. I do not want to tell them how to do their job and respect that they have a lot of experience and have been doing this since I was a toddler.