PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 12th Dec 2009, 22:07
henkybaby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good morning ALurker

"Suppose that BASSA calls a strike on Monday for 21, 22 and 23 of December and BA fails to get an injunction, do you then feel that ruining xmass and the holiday season for so many people is just?"

I would feel very sorry for all customers inconvenienced on those days - I would however feel more sorry for my three kids for the rest of my working career as my money drops and I am unable to maintain their lifestyle, as do my own opportunities for promotion and transfer and my terms and conditions on an agreed contract where broken by my employer.

End Quote
You failed to take the second part of my question into account, so let me rephrase.

If a strike is inevitable, would you prefer a strike during the holiday season, hurting many passengers who have no stake in your conflict or would you prefer a strike or milder IA after new years?

(I seriously hope that you will still have a contract after a strike. Remember Swissair? BA has everything to win by either a bankruptcy and a restart or even a very expensive victory over BASSA. The only thing not an option is to give in. Besides, they don't need to.)

EDIT: Any other pro strike BA CC is courteously invited to answer the same question!

EDIT 2: Most likely I have not been paying attention. I understood that the indignation is with the execution of a reduction in cabin crew on long haul flights ex LHR not leading to layoffs. Since this cannot effect your income I must be missing something. Can you please explain what part of the plans immediately affects you personally (and of course your kids) and how?

The Unite stand:

Working hours will be extended, crew levels will be slashed, career opportunities will disappear and new starters will be brought in on bargain basement wages. Unite says this will inevitably damage customer service and hit the brand, possibly leaving it beyond repair.
So is it about your future career opportunities? Should I go on strike if yet another management layer is abolished in my company because it cuts off a career path? We would all grind to a halt! Don't tell me we all need to have our x mass ruined because a management layer is thinned out...

If Unite is worried about customer service they should maybe ask passengers to strike since that affects them (e.g. me). Personally I think the latter is just an excuse. I don't think your money will drop actually now, this minute, does it? Again, how does this really affect you in the here and now besides working harder? (Honest question!)

Last edited by henkybaby; 12th Dec 2009 at 22:38.