PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US IR for UK IMC qualified pilots
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2002, 17:51
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The course is about the same as an IMC (assuming you did that IMC in the UK - and not over here).
Not entirely true. To get issued an IR you need to complete a minimum of 40 hours either simulated or actual instrument time. There is far more to getting an FAA IR than many people think, there is of course the 'basic' attitude instrument flying, and shooting approaches, but you also deal with all the en-route stuff as well. The IR check ride is hard, in fact its probably the hardest thing you'll do after getting the initial PPL.

You have to complete the FAA written exams, which are not too hard if you know your onions, then you'll be given an oral exam which can be a bit of a bitch, followed by the skills test. Prior to the skills test the examiner will ask you to plan an IFR cross country trip, which he normally goes through with you and may use for the basis of the oral exam...When it comes to the skills test be prepared for anything as there is no set order for things to happen. For my test, I flew from Long Beach to Cable / Brackett IFR, shot the VOR approach into Brackett, executed missed approach, cancelled IFR and was asked to carry out steep turns, followed by unusual attitudes, then holding procedures, then a 5 DME arc around SLI vortac, ILS into Fullerton or somewhere, missed approach, VOR into LGB. The whole flight took around 2 hours.

Me and my mate went over last October and it basically took us 3 weeks to get the IR. It was hard work though, we both had virtually nil instrument time, and were short of FAA cross country time. Before you take the IR check ride you need to have 50 hours cross country (over 50 nm from point of departure to destination airport), so a lot of our training was carried out cross country (saw a lot of nice restaraunts though). My hardest day was leaving LGB at 16:00, flying IFR to Phoenix, then returning....7 hours of flying IFR, I think I got home at about 2-3am....

As far as costs go, you're looking at $75 / hour for aircraft rental and another $30 / hr for the instructor. If you already have instrument time, which you do, then this can count towards the 40 hrs. Also the FAA state that up to 20 hrs of the 40 hours can be completed in an approved training device (simulator), which costs around $30 per hour plus the instructor. On top of this you have a $75 written exam fee, plus a $300 skills test fee. I did all my training in an aircraft rather than the sim, which I'm glad about, the exposure we got to the US ATC / IFR system has been invaluable.

Total cost for me, around $4500, probably less for you. And I have just read another thread which states the JAA will give credit for an ICAO IR holder against the JAA IR, so if in the future you decide to go for the JAA one, the costs will be a lot less. In the meantime though the CAA will issue the IMC rating for free (well £64)....

Cheers
EA