PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 11th Dec 2009, 19:41
deeceethree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fume Event,

You have spent some time on this thread prophesising about what would or wouldn't happen. Can you help me out with some of this stuff,please, as the track record isn't looking too good .....

Finance
The facts are that BA is expected to break even in 2010/11 and back in profit by the following financial year.
You have stated similar before:
BA didn't make a 'loss' last year, it was just in negative profit. Positive profit returns in 2011.
As BA exits its negative profit strategy in 2011 ....
So, for research purposes, could you please show/tell us where these alleged facts can be found, please. Negative profit? Are you for real?

Imposition
I can tell you now with absolute certainty and clarity, that if BA take on the cabin crew, they will lose. The unions will never allow this imposition to happen and the whole airline will grind to a halt as the dispute escalates.
Now BA are really in a corner. They are in the unenviable position of trying to shaft us and at the same time wanting us to make their impositions work. Well it aint goner happen.
On 13th November you seemed a little less sure that there would be no imposition by saying:
He chose to impose on the 16th November and from managers I have spoken to privately, they expect it to be a disaster.
Well, despite your pretty equivocal assurances, the imposition did happen! Can you explain that? And where is the disaster predicted by your privately-spoken-to managers? Any strike in the meantime will only weaken already shaky ground that BASSA/Unite are standing on for that pending court case. Can you explain that too?
The future if the imposition sticks is no promotion, less pay, inferior T&C's...basically a dead end job.
You're giving up?

Ballot
Walsh is not calling the shots now, the cabin crew are. It is their ballot and if there is a YES vote, THEY will decide how long the shutdown will be, NOT Walsh.
My prediction is, and I will be back after the 14th to remind you all, is that the YES vote will be more than 95% again.
The return will be higher than 2007 with a vote in favour in excess of 95%.
Well, not long to wait now -are you still confident? Will a 95% vote from a minority of voters count as a massive victory?

Merger with Iberia
..... Walsh has had very little success closing the deal with IBERIA.
Why would Iberia want to merge with a company that has become a pariah in the way it treats its staff?
Well, Iberia have done quite well out of the eventual deal, if you consider how much of the combined company they get. And just today the boss of Iberia has been appointed a non-executive director of BA, so he has done very well, hasn't he? Do you think Iberia were really worried about BA's apparent "pariah" status?

And Finally .....
BA's cabin crew through the intelligent use of IA combined with a legal challenge, will find an elegant solution to their dispute with the company.
So, this intelligence and elegance ....... are we going to see any soon? Because soon is when its needed..... if its going to come at all.