PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 11th Dec 2009, 13:06
Desertia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fume, as usual your frequent Willie bashing doesn't really take into account all the facts, does it? For example the key statement you neglected to mention.

The article actually states:

That leaves the BA boss, Willie Walsh. It is hard to imagine the Irishman going quietly but his fight with the airline’s 13,000 cabin crew over cost cutting could make or break him. He can lose this fight by either ruining the airline with a prolonged strike or by caving in and seeing his authority evaporate. If he wins, Mr Walsh could become the iron man of the European aviation industry as the head of a merged BA-Iberia. But, as for all airline executives these days, the odds are against him.
Personally I think the odds are significantly in his favour thanks to last weeks subsidiary results. After all, it is the shareholders that would have decided to kick him out, and they seem to be completely in support of his plan to emasculate BASSA.

Iron Man. I like that.

Oh, and for the umpteenth time:

There could have ben bhuge <sic> cost savings running for months as UNite/BASSA offered, but it was rejected by Walsh. Why if the company was in such a bad way, would a CEO refuse voluntary concessions, preferring imposition and a strike at the worst possible time in the calendar for the airline? Imposition is union busting, that isthe objective of Walsh.
What huge cost savings? BA required 140m from cabin crew, it was offered what actually amounted to 54m. UNITEBA are still quoting their fantasy figure of 175 million on their website, which was proven to be completely wrong by an independent audit by a respected firm, no matter what lies some people might make up to impugn PWC's reputation.

Do please feel free to elaborate on any other "huge savings" that were offered.

The reason Willie is perceived as "union busting" dear Fume, is because in the eyes of the shareholders (and other interested parties like myself), this is one union that actually deserves to be busted, if only to get rid of the cancer of the rich old reps desperately trying to cling onto their wholly unrealistic packages.

I would think that you might as well bring on your strike if you get the mandate. Not only will it show Joe Public BASSA's true colours, but I'm also sure BA have already made the necessary arrangements.

I'm sure it's not only BASSA who have full page adverts lined up in all the press, not to mention sensible interviews on the various news channels, should they be required.

Last edited by Desertia; 11th Dec 2009 at 13:15. Reason: Addendum