PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 10th Dec 2009, 10:08
HiFlyer14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there will be others reporting as normal perhaps.:
Swordsman - no perhaps about it. There will definitely be a large amount of us who have voted no, resigned from the Union and will be coming to work. I speak to crew every trip who have voted no or are at least thinking about it.

In response to the question about what do BASSA hope to achieve with IA, I'm afraid the honest answer is they don't know as they do not have a plan. If they have a plan, then they certainly haven't told us, the members, about it. They are relying, somewhat foolishly, on the vein hope, as A Lurker and others have demonstrated, that WW will back down and negotiate. The diehards truly believe that. It beggars belief that the Union could lead people down this path to destruction, without a Plan B.

Who knows what will happen. The only thing cabin crew can do is inform themselves of all the facts, the main one being that if you strike you are in breach of your contract. The imposition of crew complements is in the courts, so if you go on strike and the courts rule that it is not contractual, then what? Has the strike been illegal?

Ask yourself this - why are we having a strike at all? The imposition in the courts is due to be heard in February. Why not wait until February and then, if and when the courts decide if it is contractual or not, negotiations could begin. But BASSA chose not to wait. Why not? There is nothing to be gained now from striking, because ultimately the decision is in the hands of the courts. The fact is striking and winding people up is the only thing that BASSA can do. It is their last clutch at the straw of power. They know they are doomed, so they want to fire this parting shot.

It's over BASSA. Over for you and, if you're not careful, it will be over for all of us. I give up now. We have done as much as we can to inform cabin crew to be very careful about which way they vote. Please be very careful about going on strike and read all the facts about it from both sides.

Beyond that, if people are on a mission to self-destruct, there appears to be little else we can do. I shall watch them cheering at Sandown on Monday, with my head in my hands.

I am BA Cabin Crew and the above represents my own personal viewpoint and not that of BA.