PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 8
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 8
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2009, 22:53
andrewmcharlton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you're about to open a whole can of whoop ass.

Our illustrious leader has led us to the brink of financial oblivion generally, introduced APD which in some cases will be £170 per departure from November next year, added VAT to more things, risen corporation tax and about every other tax.

For the record too, the Tories sad they would abandon R3 at LHR so that argument doesn't really stack and with the afirmation that expansion shuld continue at BHX, MAN, GLA, EDI and not to mention NCL's master plan the whole stick to London isn't a runner either.

One of the major reasons why pax numbers are down is due to the public having bog all money due to our current masterful avoidance of boom and bust. Just bust it seems.

MME and HUY don't deserve to survive if they can't modify and adapt and find markets and products punters want to buy, there isn't a case for a public service rationale behind them in any event.

they have no desire to see any form of aviation industry growth in the regions
NCLFlights - What policy is that based on? (other than any stereotypical ideas you might have)

Skyman771 - What is wrong with advocating rail? You say its
"ancient, inadequate, and underfunded network".

Smple fact - barring miracles, I can get city centre to city centre Newcastle to London in 3 hours. A fairly even match with the slickest plane trip, usually comparable cost on an average lead time for booking, emit a fraction of the CO2 and generally have a comparable experience. Not with 170 others but around 600 others. I accept air is best on some routes but the fact is the train is better on others. Until T5 opened your description of the rail would apply to LHR too.

And of course, don't forget that the lunatics in Whitehall haven't been Tory for 13 odd years. I'm sure someone will manage to bring in the miners strike, the common market and the shipbuilding industry due to personal prejudices or beliefs and render the whole political argument pointless anyway.