PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So where are all the jobs then?
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2009, 09:19
hec7or

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My reading of PAPIs post is that he/she wants the operators who use cheap labour to come unstuck, not the pilots themselves.

While CTC cadets are exceptional with the SOPs and day to day stuff and represent a reliable and standardised product, it may be worth noting that when things start happening fast, the experienced pilots cope a little better.

In 3 go rounds from monitored approaches flown from the OM in the last year, I've had to take control twice to avoid an alt bust due to the startle factor as the power kicks in and both of these were with inexperienced cadets, on the remaining go round a more experienced SFO managed to fly the entire procedure without intervention from me.

I'm no expert, but in all these cases, due to the conditions it shouldn't have come as much of a surprise that a missed approach was to be flown and both of the cadets had given a blow by blow description of the go round procedure as SOP dictates during the approach brief. Interestingly, the more experienced SFO didn't bother with the go round briefing, he just got on with it when the time came.

These should be routine low workload events without self induced drama.

No offence intended to the new guys, but there is evidence here on the side of experience.