PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Irish Regional Airport...the Future
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2009, 03:41
Ernest Lanc's

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Just a spotter
The two states that exist on the island of Ireland are
a) Northern Ireland (part of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) and
b) Ireland (plain and simple).
I would say far from simple jus - You provided a link.
Originally Posted by Permanent Mission Of Ireland To The United Nations
Permanent Mission Of Ireland To The United Nations]
Name of State
The Irish Constitution provides that the name of the State is Éire or in the English language, Ireland. The Republic of Ireland Act of 1948 provides for the description of the State as the Republic of Ireland but this provision has not changed the use of ‘Ireland’ as the name of the State in the English language.
It would seem legally from the link you provided that Eire is the name of the state, while The state of Ireland is the description of Eire in English.
I am no expert on Irish constitutional matters, but if I have understood the above correctly - It would take a referendum within a republic with a written constitution, to chage that states name.

Angry Rebel
You make some good points about regional airports despite your attempts at sarcasm based on you not reading my post though. I never said Google was definitive on what you rightly say is a side issue.
I said:-
Originally Posted by Ernest Lanc's
I won't say more than this, as you can argue until blue in face - Google this point and will be swapping source and counter source until the cows come home
In short I was referring to RESULTS obtained by the use of Google, not just the prediction part as you imply.

Sorry folks for bringing this up again, but If I am quoted incorrectly or out of context, they I have to reply.

On point (1) of the post by Angry Rebel, I agree with that point - But think that future increase in pax resulting from development would make for a larger catchment area. So downgrading "Volume" as a factor for keeping a regional open is wrong IMO.

Also Donegal with it's scattered population has that as a strong case for keeping open, even with a subsidy if necessary.

Last edited by Ernest Lanc's; 9th Dec 2009 at 08:27. Reason: To remove some text