PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 8
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 8
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2009, 18:11
transwede

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite a few ex-charter routes that were once served now missing from the destinations map.

It is great all this talk of management should do this and be talking to all these different airlines, but in this current climate lets be realistic. Yes we maybe showing signs of coming out of the recession, however lets bare in mind that airlines have shed staff and aircraft and amended projections, expansion plans etc to reflect a slow, natural growth in the near future and while I would love to see NCL busy, as it was 1-2 years ago I suspect airlines will be very choosy over any new routes, making sure that the finances are in place and assured of a guaranteed good, solid and steady yield, which sometimes (and I only say sometimes) a regional airport cannot guarantee across the board. Some routes, using the low cost or regional style of flying could and probably will work, sustaining a good mix of low yield leisure/VFR and business custom, but I am dubious of full service legacy style operations. Lets see what the future holds, though I am sure that for everything that has been mentioned above, the management will be talking to airlines, persuading them to come to NCL - I wouldn't imagine they'll be just waiting and sitting around, afterall there is alot of spare capacity in NCL which the management will want filled, be in regional, international, low cost, scheduled or charter!

On the subject some old charter routes:

Santorini
Mytillene
Agadir
Pula
Dubrovnik
Volos
Athens