PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Solent transit at night
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2009, 20:53
beatnik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solent transit at night

Yesterday afternoon, returning to Shoreham from Dunkeswell in a PA28, I requested a transit of the Solent CTA/CTR. The controller asked if I was VFR or IFR. I replied VFR although technically I know you can't fly under Visual Flight Rules at night - but you can fly in VMC if you comply with IFR Rules 29 and 30 (min height & crusing levels above 3000ft). She said that because it was only a few minutes to "Night" (16:25), I was to remain outside CAS, as she couldn't guarantee clearance from IFR traffic. She said something about maybe doing it under a SVFR clearance, but I wasn't sure if she was prompting me to ask for SVFR. In the end she asked me to stay outside controlled airspace and to route via Lyndhurst, which I did and I transitted at 1500' under the CTA via Stoney Cross and Beaulieu, so no problem there.

Three things puzzled me - one, does my night rating not enable me to transit D Class zones "VFR" at night, secondly, should I simply have asked for a SVFR at the outset, and thirdly, in one of the earlier exchanges she asked me to remain clear of controlled airspace (which I fully understand is the standard reply) but to "report Totton" - which is in the CTA/CTR. So had I flown on to Totton, surely I would have infringed CAS?

I've had a look at the NATS document published on the Solent, I've looked through my Air Law regarding my Night rating and SVFRs - the only thing I can think of was that SVFRs are usually low level affairs, and thus I wouldn't be sufficiently separated from IFR traffic. Or was it a visibility thing - I could see lights on the ground for miles, but does the >10km for an SVFR not apply at night. I'm sure there is a simple answer.

I'd be interested in any comments - but the controller was very pleasant and professional - so no qualms there.

Thanks
Nik
(Mods - feel free to move to "ATC" if you think more appropriate)

Last edited by beatnik; 7th Dec 2009 at 21:36.