PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What hope for low hour pilots ???
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2002, 20:26
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If this thread does anything useful, it reminds us how close to the surface are the feelings of those in the precarious position of looking for a job just now. That's not just those with 200 hours, incidentally; there are many out there with ten or twenty times that much who are as busily writing CVs as you guys.

The problem is, while we can all understand and sympathise, there isn't much advice we can give that hasn't been given here many times. That's usually something along the lines of 'keep the faith, keep current (especially IR), keep networking, and something will hopefully turn up'. It can't be much more specific than that, as we usually don't know the detail of your individual circumstances. We don't really subscribe to the tea and sympathy approach, as we're not social workers, and we're not going to tell anyone that it's all going to be OK if that's not what we believe.

However, I am a little surprised at how readily we've all jumped down each others' throats! Even my little attempt at humour a week or so ago was met with a sarcastic reply! Chill, people, we are all on the same side... I think.

Anyway, a little bit of good news which might indicate that things are genuinely on the mend. At Virgin we have now reinstated all those pilots who were under notice of redundancy. Those who have already left are being asked to consider returning (although they may well be ensconced somewhere else by now), and our Chief Pilot has suggested that it can't be too long before we have to look again at recruiting in the open market. Before you rush me, no, we won't be taking any fATPLs of any kind! But it's reasonably hard evidence that the worst is now behind us, and that will have inevitable repercussions all the way through the employment chain.