PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 7th Dec 2009, 16:19
midman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IheartMBT
I have already stated that i dont believe BASSA acted correctly at all times. BUT as a member of a union I have no choice as to accept (and hope) that they are acting in my best interests(except to leave).
I think the point you make here is typical of many cabin crew. They aren't impressed with the way Bassa have behaved in some areas, but feel they have no alternative. Well you have! Tell the reps what you want, how you want them to represent you, what you are prepared to give up in order to make your fair contribution to cost savings. Communication in the union should be 90% members to reps - not the other way round. Keep telling them, be a right royal pain in their necks, they HAVE to listen to you.

But these reps are cabin crew, whatever they achieve(or not) will apply to themselves too.
Well, the influential union reps seem to be old contract CSDs who have a huge amount to lose by the proposed changes. They will lose the control over day to day ops that they have. They will lose the disproportionately high allowances that they so often seem to receive, as a monthly travel payment would even trips out. They will have to go out and push a trolley. Their status will be diminished.
These are all areas that don't affect new contract maincrew in anything like the same way. That's why when Bassa offered a pay cut, offered 767s to shorthaul, a purser off LGW, it seemed like the same old birds were continuing to feather their very lucrative nests.

If it were me, I'd be asking some pretty searching questions of my reps, and not giving them my trust unless they satisfied all my questions and took aboard MY opinion too.

If I dont back them then I may aswell sign up for New fleet straight away and enjoy my new fexi rosters and pay.
No you won't. You'll be on same basic, a travel allowance which will even out allowances, and very generous other terms and conditions compared to competitors.