PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 7th Dec 2009, 10:54
IheartMBT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TOPBUNK

I agree with alot of what you say, but what actually happened in those talks nobody really knows (even though some people on here claim they know 1st hand). I am a BASSA member and donot agree with all of their actions, BUT as a member of a union i donot get to pick and choose which parts i like, but will have to follow the majority or leave.
I am also a BA employee and also donot agree with all they do, again the picking and choosing is not possible.
Both sides could and should try harder to come to an agreement in what at the end or the day will either benefit or harm BOTH sides.
I also feel that the "biggies" eg the disruption agreement are being sidelined at the moment......WHY????? With the winter months here this is the time it needs to be addressed. ( This is one point i dont agree with BASSA on).

Desertia

Yes i will picket. Again i believe very strongly in this and would not have voted yes if i was not willing to back it up with action. And yes i know the concequences.

HUMAN FACTOR

I wasnt able to be at the meeting as i was halfway over the Atlantic at the time, so am not able to comment.
As for new fleet yes it was off the table (infact Mr Francis PROMISED that it would not happen), then it reappeared and we were told there was no other way.This was before any strike ballot was issued.
If they made a u turn on this very important matter why should I believe all the things they are promising now?

MIDMAN

I can only state my opinion. I think that if the imposing goes ahead and BA are not challenged then we might as well rip up all existing agreements, because they will not be worth the paper they are written on. In my opinion the next thing to appear will be the new fleet swiftly followed by a letter to all current crew rendering then "surplus" and off into redeployment we go and 52 weeks later we have no job (or the only option is to join new fleet which for alot of crew is not a possibility financially).
I agree that many of us on the "old" contracts are paid above average, but what about the "new" contracts" they are def not overpaid in anyway, and i have said i would be willing to find a compromise BUT such a huge drop......No.
Alot of people who joined the airline as crew, did this for life.It was a promise of a secure future ( and up until now has always been secure), they have mortgages etc depending on this, they cannot afford to drop their wage so low.
Alot of people state "if you dont like it leave", why should I?? I have always worked hard for this company. I have missed many special moments in life as i was working. (my sons 1st steps.....and that is heart breaking for a mother). Why should i now say " ok no probs guys i will be off then"?

I am one of the most unmilitant people you will ever meet. I do my job and go home (that is where my life is). But this issue has even forced me to sit up and notice. I have read a couple of posts regarding people voting no to IA. Where are these people? I have counted 3 or 4 on this thread but they are not representative of the feeling out there!!! I have never seen crew so worked up and angry before. I think you are mistaken if you think different. (again my opinion).