PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish ATC "Work to rule"
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2009, 20:08
Alfredo tp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot <3 Controller

Hi everybody!
Well, first: I am a pilot, and that (at least for me) means that I love controllers! They aren't just there thanks to us pilots. Well, kinda, but still...
We are supposed to fly our routes, as planned, yup? Yup! Now, if the controller gives us short cuts, yeeaah! we are all happy. But if somebody gives you something for 'free', a gift, or whatever, do you still question that given gift? (Not talking only about aviation here!)
I have been visiting control towers, etc., and it's a mess. I personally would die on a heart attack, and have no hair left on my head, after just one session! And somebody mentioned Sevilla airspace, comparing it with London was it? Well, London=Madrid-Barajas for me. Sevilla is smaller compared to those, so less controller, etc., BUT lots of military aviation and test flying, GA, etc.
What those controller are doing is showing that they are understaffed, without going on strike. How? Directs, shortcuts, etc., helps to keep the flow flowing even better. So, just do your job without favors( <--- directs, etc.) and show in that way how chaotic it can get, with only doing their job, with those extras that they are throwing in for us pilots... for free! (Yes, for free! Because if on those ways something bad happens, they are more screwed then us being on the 'normal' airway!) And even if there is barely or even no other traffic (let's remember: our airplane is not the only one. And apart from airliners, the General Aviation is very(!) important as well!), there are always other flights planned, with there slots, etc. We pilots we SHARE the airspace. I wanna drive my Cadillac off the highway directly into my parking space, without having to pass my house first and then take on the exit #36, then drive back for 5 minutes, etc. But it's not MY highway, it's OURS!!!
The controllers have more to do, than just talking to pilots about instructions, etc.
I really don't understand some guys here. Why all this? Oh, no direct? Okey! Well, he must be busy, or got busted before for a similar action which turned out bad, or got headache and can't focus right now on all directs of all of our airplanes, or is expecting some military exercises, or... who knows? Or better: who gives a damn? If they are 'by the book', well let them do it. That is the NORMAL situation! Don't ask for something, that doesn't belong to you! Of course it's a pain in the a$$, to fly a full Departure in a clear sunny sky, with no traffic, but we are supposed to do that anyways, we just got used to the easy side... too used!Let's do our job then, right?
As for me, I am happy with the controllers, and not only Spain, but all over Europe. Yes, it's kinda different from the US, so what? Good ol' Europe IS different from the US and all the american continent.(Ever been flying in deep Africa?)
Been asked by passengers for shortcuts LOL but I see and understand that, if one does not know 'the world' of it... well, you do the math. Controllers have zillions of reasons for that, and finito! When pilots are on strike, all the people say "oh, why, they don't have no reason for it, but lots of $ and bla bla bla, for just sitting in the cockpit, and bla bla bla".(It's because they don't know our conditions, fears, lifes, our working 'world', etc.)
Let's not take for granted what is just a favor (and what could cost their job if something sh!t comes out of it).
Relax guys, let's do our job with pride, and know that we are all working together(!), and not against each other! (Each side just has his own stories, own life, own reasons, own "world"!).
Ok?

Last edited by Alfredo tp; 6th Dec 2009 at 20:20.