PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Affording training /lower class.
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2009, 17:31
flyboy1818

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was actually on a University Air Sqaudron for two years and I had a great time, but I always wanted to be a Civilian Pilot and I decided that I should follow my first preference. I think you have made a poor comparision here because the Military is completley different to the Civilan flying world and for many reasons a Military career does not suit everyone. Being a Military Pilot is about alot more than just the flying, it would be insufficient to say that everyone who wants to be a Pilot and cannot afford to train should join the Military.

That is just pure envy and bitterness; not desirable character traits so maybe try readjusting your ire into something more positive.
Its not a negative comment, I am being a realist and stating fact. Most students who graduate an integrated course have no other experience of the Aviation world, yet they get first preference for many jobs. If we are to compare this to your example about the legal profession, imagine working for a legal company for 7.5 years and being told that you cannot work for them as a barrister after qualification because you did not go to there partner law school or were not tagged by them! This does not happen in the legal world. You can go out and do your training at your choice of law school and apply for any of the jobs available. In Aviation however we are limited in choice because of the way in which many of the larger schools have partnered with the airlines.

I have a few friends in the legal profession and I asked them today about the cost of training. For a graduate in another discipline like myself I would have to undertake a graduate diploma in law costing between £2000 and £8000 followed by a Bar Vocational Course costing between £8000-£15000. I would then be qualified to apply for a job. My friend indicates that a newly qualified Barrister at his firm earns around £42K pa, no further training costs are involved. The difference with Aviation is that even when you take the modular route the total costs will be at least twice this amount from zero to fATPL. When we finish training it now seems to be the norm to pay for more training, this could be an instructors ticket at £7K or a type rating at £25K. I know that you have mentioned other jobs such as being a Ferry Pilot, however this type of employment is unlikely to be a first job and is often one for someone who has lets say 1000 hours single enigne time from instructing.

All these factors mixed in do make a career in Aviation extremley prohibitive to an individual trying to pay there own way such as myself or the individual asking the question. Lets not forget that the Goverment do hand out loans for those law courses which means that anyone from any background can training to be a legal professional. You do not require an 80K loan secured on your parents house or parents who will pay to train to go to law school. In addition to this you don't have to go to the highest priced law school to apply for a job with the best law firms. All this is different from the world of Aviation. An integrated student could indeed if they wanted to be end up being a ferry pilot if they wanted to be there are no companies which ferry aircraft specifying that you must come from XYZ modular school to work for them, anyone can apply. All I want is a more level playing field so that students from any flying background can apply for jobs. Flybe is a really good example of the model that all airlines should follow, they pay for you type rating and you can apply if you are integrated or modular. They do have a few schemes but this does not make employment with flybe exclusive.

I really hope you can understand my view point here and that it really is a case of how big your cheque book is, the smaller the cheque book the narrower the opportunities.