PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 6th Dec 2009, 11:46
midman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fume Event
Just to pick up on CFC's post above, there are 5 CSD's suspended at the moment for apologising to passengers over the PA for the poor service since the 16th November. I have had a number of Gold and Silver card holders say to me that they are surprised to see the CSD's "pouring wine" whilst there is no Inflight entertainment due to a malfunction.
I have heard of csds apologising to the passengers before the service starts, saying the service will be reduced due to the company's impositions. This is totally unprofessional and unacceptable and must be stopped by the company, hence the suspensions. As for the ECHs commenting on csds pouring wine while waiting for a reset of the IFE, there's an easy solution:
Anyone should be able to reset the IFE. I can do it. I reckon it took me best part of 25 seconds to learn how to do it. It's been under the csd's control so far because the controls are in the 'office' and there's not a lot of other prescribed duties for the csd to do on a normal flight.

The product is so bad now for Club passengers that no doubt they will vote with their feet, as the reduction in the crew is the last straw.
I'm sorry, but Bassa are not the guardians of service standards in the company. It's easy to say what should and shouldn't be offered to the customer when it's not you who is responsible for paying for it. It's the job of Product personnel to create the product, and the job of cabin crew to present it. It may be frustrating to have less to offer, but that's the decision the company has decided it has to take. If cabin crew take a professional attitude to their work, they should do their absolute best to deliver the product, however meagre, to the customers. Afterwards they can report back on shortfalls in catering etc, or logistics of delivering the service, and the company will decide whether it can afford to change things.

The reduction in crew is a red herring. I've now flown plenty of sectors with not a single problem reported to me. Not one. Csds are working harder, but the ones I've flown with were organised and had thought things through, resulting in no crew shortfall issues.

A Premier passenger who is a CEO of a major British company said to me that he is constantly complaining about the state of the First cabins, scruffy aircraft, old fashioned GMIS IFE, rubbish food and often there is not even a duvet for him or other part of the First product not loaded. And now we hear that BA view all the prem pasengers they have 'made up' as requiring too many resources:ie meeting and greeting etc. Plus many Prem pax get free upgrades like MP's who fly BA.
I say again, Bassa are not the guardians of customer product. Bassa are there to defend crew terms and conditions.

Of course these passengers never make any comment about the Flight Crew; it is as if they do not exist.
I too am not sure what you mean by this, but if you mean to imply that we are invisible to the customer, you might be surprised to know that we get plenty of letters from customers regarding the level of service we have offered them and the difference we made to their travel experience. It's just that we don't shout loudly about these letters of thanks, nor think we are the best pilots in the world as a result.