PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 6th Dec 2009, 05:55
Desertia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what you are saying is that the Cabin Crew contract and the agreed Collective Agreements are worthless
Lurker, I didn't read that from what he said, he used the term "reasonable". What I would add is that the agreements must have the flexibility to be "amended from time to time" (remember that bit)?

The current circumstances (massive global financial crisis, massive increase in airline competition, further damage to come from climate change legislation) have made that necessary (surely you would concede that simple point by now?).

Now as you have said this ideally should be done by negotiation. But BASSA (the leaders) have through their intransigence made this impossible. That is why so many of us here clamour for BASSA members to change their leadership and employ people who mostly aren't simply Willie Walsh hatemongers on fantastic packages that they are desperate to protect.

SO BA have made impositions which change things, and they are quite obviously well prepared to fight them in the courts (or the injunction would have already been granted to prevent them from doing so).

As to whether BASSA members have the stomach to follow the jihadist cries from their imams is another thing altogether.

But if they were talking to BA and understanding the position in which ALL employees of the company find themselves then perhaps this could have been handled better.

As it is, I don't even think Unite has the stomach for big battles at the moment. It knows its pet government is out on its ear at the next election, and perhaps sees the bigger picture (i.e. do we want more anti-union legislation when the tories take over again?).

who according to the quotes below conducts "lethal cross-examinations" in court).
This surely begs the question of which lamb BASSA will be sending to the slaughter, or will one of the BASSA leaders be assuming the role of plaintiff in this case? (Not a legal beagle, but I think plaintiff is the correct word?).

I wish we had the US system, where courts were televised. Would make riveting viewing!

Finally, the Sick days thing, that's surely another complication:

"Medical evidence
It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work." Will they be making home visits?

But this is buried in a whole boatload of stuff including:

"Your employer cannot ask you to provide evidence that your are sick for the first seven days of illness".

So how can they decide if they don't have any evidence?

Baffling.

The relevant info can be found here:

Statutory Sick Pay - telling your employer you are sick and providing evidence : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits

Unfortunately I'm back at work in the sandpit today, so perhaps someone else has the time to peruse, analyse and offer further comment (There's a ton of stuff there).

Regards,
D

Last edited by Desertia; 6th Dec 2009 at 06:13. Reason: Addendum