PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 5th Dec 2009, 21:29
midman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A Lurker
So what you are saying is that the Cabin Crew contract and the agreed Collective Agreements are worthless - if that is so, then so is your own contract and indeed any other contract within BA - you see I don't think that that would stack up - otherwise what is the point of any of us having a contract or agreement?
I'm absolutely not saying they are worthless. However, all contracts have still to be 'reasonable', as most contracts are. An employer could argue the points I make above, saying the changes they wish to make are 'reasonable' and the Unite objections are not. And that is possible whatever the wording in the contract. It's up to the court to decide.

The company's case is hugely strengthened if they can demonstrate that they have done their utmost to negotiate. BA will use Bassa's comms, minutes of the meetings with Bassa (or not), ACAS rows between union officials and their own comms to demonstrate their efforts to negotiate the issues. I believe this explains BA's benign approach so far.

And I haven't mentioned the use of SOSR - a powerful argument listened to by courts, especially in these difficult times.
Originally Posted by A Lurker
As for your statement on trying to negotiate - again that is open to interpretation isn't it?
No, that will be down to official records and communications made by BA and by the unions and ACAS.