PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - For International Cadets.
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2009, 16:55
betpump5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is just a RUMOUR but..

A lot has been made about how a cadet would feel if a DESO in the future was hired thus meaning that with an allowance, they could eventually be paid more money than a cadet who may be 1 or 2 ranks ahead of the DESO. This was a fair point and definately a concept that would form a strong basis for any talks for CPP cadets to get a form of allowance.

Now this is just a rumour that I have heard recently therefore I won't ask the likes of Titan to corroborate this as if it is true, goes much higher than the both of us.

The rumour is that DESO is finsihed and looking at the facts addressed in many current threads, does look like a rational argument. I will elaborate and say that the DESO "ex-pat package" is finshed. The CP batches first started of with 1 course a year made up of not more than 10 cadets.

By December, 6 CP groups will be at FTA and apart from the CP36, all future batches will be made up of 16 cadets.CP 35 reached this amount and CP37 onwards will have this figure. With a CP group every other month would mean that you have just shy of 100 cadets per year graduating in the future. This roughly equates to just over 6% of the workforce. This 6% turnover in pilots leaving/retiring etc is a pretty standard figure for an airline like CX.

It is this simple maths that has shown that a DESO is no longer needed - the pilots and the package we give them. CCP/FTA have a pretty efficient scheme going and the financial analysts for the company are pretty good at predicting future pilot demand. Barring some mircale where overnight there is a surge in air travel by some ridiculous percent, then CPP will cover our needs for a very long time and be an extremely cost effective solution for the company- even if some form of housing allowance is finally surrendered to CPP pilots.

Like I said, this is just a rumour. I have constructed the post as to why I believe the rumuor is true. Naturally I expect others to form counter arguments as to why the rumour is untrue but the simple truth is that why would you have a highly expensive DESO package when CPP meets the demands and can be flexed whenever needed.