PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 4th Dec 2009, 06:36
A Lurker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glamgirl

A Lurker,

I have some questions for you:

Do you think that the show of hands at a union meeting for members to agree to "no further negotiation" was an intelligent and well thought out way of doing things? As in show of hands/2000 members = minority of members.

It is the democratic way in which we do things in the UK - just like a General Election ie Is it right that we have a Government when only 50% of the electorate vote? Everyone who is a union member is entitled to go to the meeting and vote.

Do you think that it was correct procedure to (at the last union meeting) have a show of hands to delay elections? 3250 members = minority of members (again). I refer to my answer above

What are your ideas for cost savings from the IFCE budget? This figure is for the 18-month period of 01/10/2009 to 31/03/2011 and is the total cost saving.
The figure used for each crew head is £40,500 (this is not what you take home, but the cost to BA including tax, pension, N.I, - employee and employer, allowances, training etc) as it is an average of main crew, PSR and CSD put together.
Pay reduction of 2.61% (same % reduction as the pilots) £17.5 million
Meal allowance freeze £6 million (Note - this is 2 years not 18 months and is based on world average inflation not just UK)
Telephone allowance withdrawn £1.0 million
New disruption agreement for WW and an introduction for EF + SFG £60 million
(Note - It is based on data over the last 2 years and uses the cost of diversions plus the cost of a/c out of position for longer than under our new proposal. In February this year BA admitted to the press that the snow disruption cost them £20 million +. Should the next 2 winters contain little or no snow and fog, no ATC problems or T5 bag problems, then this saving will be reduced. Equally one bad winter will increase the total saved.)
Switch of PSR to main crew WW - 4 class a/c ( this was BAs original figure ) £15 million
Removal of additional crew member on WW additional routes £4 million
Switch at SFG of PSR to main crew on 777 - 3 class ( BAs figure ) £1 million
WW 767 and routes to EF - full integration, ( head saving 400 x 18 months) £24 million
EF single supervisor 757 and switch of PSR to main crew on EF767 £2 million
EF finish time last day 2200 - up to and incl. 5 day block £1 million
Head surplus at current + surplus with a/c fleet reduction (500 heads x 18 months) £30 million note - this figure of 500 quoted by BA
Natural wastage of crew leaving (200 per annum x 18 months) £12 million
(Note- this shortage would be absorbed for 18 months without recruitment. BA will not achieve a big saving on crew leaving at the end of the period, but equally some crew have already left before the Oct ‘09 start so savings balance.)
Total saving to BA over 18 months £173.5 million.

Do you agree with the union not to ask the members about what they are willing to change? I elect the union and as such I am comfortable with them negotiating () on my behalf and with the decisions they make on my behalf

Last edited by A Lurker; 5th Dec 2009 at 08:43.